Spanish Gold Coin - 4 Escudos - Philip II - Circa 1590-1597 - NGC AU 58 - with 1715 Fleet Emerald 043


Denomination: 4 Escudos                                                                        

Reign: Philip II

Date: Never dated ​ (Circa 1590-1597)                                                     

Mint: Seville, Spain

Assayer: “D” – Square D                                                                                

Weight: 13.39 grams 

Grade: NGCX-6690842-002 – AU 58   

Mount: 18K gold with Spanish fleet emerald (8.94 gm)

Description: Philip II gold Cob 4 Escudos (1590-1597) S-D, NGC AU58. Obverse: Very sharp strike with clearly visible Jerusalem Cross; Lions and Castles visible in four quadrants.  Most all of the legend is visible. Some edge wear in top left quadrant. Reverse: Hapsburg shield with Assayer and Mint marks clearly visible on left side.  Denomination IIII clearly visible on right side.  

History:  The Seville Mint (Spanish: Casa de la Moneda de Sevilla) was one of the seven main mints of Castile authorized to continue after 1497 by the Catholic monarchs, the rest being closed. The earliest coins minted in Seville date back to Roman times, around 15 B.C. Later, the Visigoths minted from the year 621, the Arabs after 1060, and the Christian kings from 1252. The New Mint was built in the Atarazanas orchards, next to the river and a few steps from where the colonial fleets arrived with the metals. During the reign of Felipe II, the House of Seville processed 72% of all the silver, and 87% of all the gold minted in the Iberian Peninsula, leaving the other mints almost without work. The Ordinance of 1730 for the centralization of mints eliminated all except those of Madrid and Seville, which would mint only silver and gold, and Segovia, which would be dedicated to striking copper coins. In 1861 the new Madrid factory was inaugurated and in 1869 the houses of Seville, Segovia and Jubia were closed, their equipment being sold at public auction. The House of Seville was divided into three parts and sold in 1870; a total of more than ten thousand square meters sold for about 244 thousand escudos.

 


x

x