Spanish gold 1 Escudo - Phillipe III Segovia - 18k Mount


Denomination: 1 Escudos                                                        

Reign: Philip III

Date: ​1608                                                                             

Grade: Mint

Mint: Segovia, Spain                                                                       

Weight: 3.4gm

Mount: 18K gold

Description: Obverse: Crowned coat of arms. Latin Script with lettering PHILIP · III · D · G”. Translation: “Philip III, by the grace of God”. Reverse: Cross in quatrefoil. Latin script “HIAPANIAEVM - REX – 1608. Translation: “King of here and beyond”.

History: The royal mint was a coining factory that Philip II ordered to be built in the end of 1580. He was aware of the new rolling and coining system in which the involvement of the use of machinery and devices were moved by hydraulic wheels. The hydraulic wheels technique had been already operating in several cities in Europe. Archduke Ferdinand of Tyrol managed to get all the equipment necessary in order for the king to proceed. The coining house was the first mechanized factory in Spain. In 1582, a team of experts travelled to Spain from the Austrian territory of Tyrol in search for the most fitting location in which they could construct the building that would stock the machinery. The property chosen was owned by Antonio de San Millán and was located on the banks of the Eresma River. Previously, the property was used to grind cereal and to fabricate paper.  This was one of the first milled coins from a Spanish mint.

x

x